Submit to hbff 2018 project-stargazer
HBFF Presents PROJECT STARGAZER – Developing Inclusive Sci-Fi Movies for the 21st Century
Since the beginning of time, people have turned their eyes towards the heavens –- the sun, moon and stars — for inspiration and the hope of a brighter future with unlimited possibilities. Since the advent of motion pictures, audiences similarly have looked to Hollywood stars and larger-than-life films & TV shows to transport them to worlds that sometimes can only be imagined.
The Hollywood Black Film Festival (HBFF) plays an integral role in discovering and launching independent films and filmmakers with fresh voices by bringing them to the attention of the entertainment industry, media and the public.
NASA leads the way in discovering the world and universe in which we live, inspiring, educating and innovating in all realms of science, technology, engineering and mathematics in its endeavor to better all lives on planet Earth.
HBFF and NASA will provide writers and emerging filmmakers from diverse communities with new resources to tell science fiction stories that capture science facts resulting from NASA science missions.
What is Project Stargazer?
Created to encourage and support creative, multicultural works in the science fiction genre, Project Stargazer is a competition for screenwriters and filmmakers to pitch science fact or fiction story ideas incorporating NASA technologies, space or earth science facts as plot elements. We’re looking for ideas and stories that can be developed into scripts, and ultimately films that captivate broad audiences as well as inspire future generations of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) enthusiasts. Your project may incorporate future settings, futuristic science and technology, space travel, aliens, paranormal abilities, infinity, immortality, what is human, time, space, consciousness, etc. It’s up to you.
The goal of Project Stargazer is to identify great science fiction story ideas and encourage emerging visionary screenwriting talent from diverse communities. We’re looking for strong and thoughtful stories that force the viewer to question reality; that explore reality and our perception of it; and that challenge us with the mystery of the mind and the universe.
How Project Stargazer Works
Project Stargazer is open to all citizens of the United States who write or co-write the submission material. Writing partners are eligible to submit as a team.
Anyone from first-time screenwriters and filmmakers to seasoned professionals can submit their story idea to Project Stargazer.
Submission documents must include on separate pages:
- Cover Page – Project Title, Author (s) Name, Contact Information
- A logline (1 to 2 sentences)
- A synopsis (no longer than 1 page)
- A treatment (5-40 pages)
- An artistic statement describing your creative vision and how a NASA mentor could help your project. (1 to 2 pages)
Submission documents should be combined and submitted as one (1) file in either Microsoft Word (.doc) or Adobe PDF (.pdf) formats.
- Main characters must represent the diverse panorama of the 21st century.
- Submission must also clearly be science fiction or science fact, and include NASA technologies, space or earth science facts as integral plot elements. You can find out about NASA technologies, NASA programs in space or earth science at: <http://www.nasa.gov> or <http://www.youtube.com/user/NASAexplorer>.
- Completed scripts are not required. Multiple submissions are permitted; however, each submission must be done separately with its own fee.
- A panel of judges from the entertainment industry and scientific community will score submissions based on originality, story idea, diversity of main characters, tone, visual style, marketability and use of space or earth science (i.e. astrophysics, aeronautics, planetary).
- Project Stargazer is accepting online submissions only through FilmFreeway <https://filmfreeway.com/festival/HollywoodBlackFilmFestival>
- Include writer(s) name, contact info, etc on the cover page only. DO NOTinclude the writer(s) name, WGA number, any kind of contact or other identifiable information on the remaining submission documents (logine, synopsis, treatment or artistic statement).
- The cost to submit an entry is $35. Submission fees help defray the cost of operating the festival and NASA receives no part of monies collected.
At HBFF 2017, the semi-finalist Stargazers will participate in an intensive workshop that includes individual one-on-one meetings and master classes with top industry writers, directors, producers and science/technology consultants to assist in the further development of the Stargazer projects. Each Stargazer will have the opportunity to pitch their projects to a panel of judges who will select Stargazer finalists to participate in the 2017 Project Stargazer Lab. Finalists will be announced at the HBFF 2017 Awards Ceremony.
2017 Project Stargazer Lab
The Project Stargazer Lab provides the Stargazer finalists with the opportunity to work on creatively advancing their projects from script to screen. Each Stargazer will be paired with mentors from the entertainment industry and NASA scientists and engineers to advise them on scientific subject matters. The Lab is designed to nurture the Stargazer finalists with project-specific support in an environment that encourages innovation.
Festival Dates: February 22-26, 2017
Call for Entries: July 18, 2016
Early Bird Deadline: September 30, 2016 Fee: $35
Regular Deadline: November 1, 2016 Fee: $35
Late Deadline: December 1, 2016 Fee: $35
■ Semi-finalists: December 12, 2016
■ Finalists: Announced onstage at the HBFF 2017 Awards Ceremonies
Please read the Project Stargazer FAQ’s for complete details before submitting.
By submitting your materials to HBFF, you acknowledge that you have read, understand and agree with all of the Rules, Regulations, Terms, and Conditions of Project Stargazer.
Hollywood Black Film Festival proudly accepts entries via FilmFreeway.com, the world’s best online submission platform. FilmFreeway offers free HD online screeners, unlimited video storage, digital press kits, and more. Click to submit with FilmFreeway.